Indeed Ad Block

A chrome extension that blocks indeed.com sponsored content.
Source Code
https://github.com/bionikspoon/indeed-ad-block
Chrome Webstore
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/indeed-ad-block/nkoiffajccaobcckejnlhgneilibplac

Another Chrome Extension

In another post, I’ve done a short write-up about my first Chrome Extension — Fresh Ubuntu Search Results. Reporting in to say I’ve done it again! Ad Block for Indeed is joining the ranks as my second Chrome Extension.

Problem

Sponsored content on indeed.com is horrible!  Not because it’s sponsored, but because it’s reliably uninteresting. Normally I would just create a custom rule using ad-blocker, but Indeed makes that a bit difficult to do.

Action

Initially, I wrote a quick script to fix it and now I’ve decided to release it!  Again, like my last plugin, the code is very, very short, and not the most time-consuming part of the project. It was only a few minutes worth of code and most of that was reading about JavaScript’s NodeList inheritance structure (hooked on skipping jQuery).  I spent more time making promotional tiles for the Chrome Webstore.  I love programming, but I don’t mind spending a chunk of time to get the presentation right.

Result

No more sponsored content!!  Mission Accomplished!

Gallery

100% more vector graphics!!  This one was challenging: Ad Blockers famously use the same recognizable icon (the stop sign)  and Indeed has their own logo; I had to figure out how to include the spirit of both while being energetic and original.

Thought Process

The icon I created is fine, but it wasn’t good enough to sit in the foreground of the promotional tiles; this is in stark contrast to the promo tiles for Fresh Ubuntu Search Results — I love that icon.  In this case, the icon gets relegated to the background.  This puts enormous pressure on the typography to be bold enough and beautiful enough to sit alone in the foreground.  I believe I accomplished this by using the stunningly beautiful Norwester font.  What do you think?

 

Conclusion

There is something missing from both of my Chrome Extensions.  Anyone who knows me, know’s I love testing.  Both of these rely on external content that I have no control over.  So if Indeed changes their web structure, this extension could stop working and I would have no idea.  This happened, in a way, with my other extension; there was an API change and it just stopped working.  I have no idea how to write tests for these types of things.  Ideally the tests I’m looking for would do a few things: 1) it would check a target website (indeed or google) and test for its html structure,  2) it would install the extension and run a set of tests to check everything works (like an E2E test), and 3) it would do both 1 and 2 routinely independent of my deployment pipeline (another thing that’s partially missing) and alert me of problems right away.  Testing is a big fuzzy question mark to me when it comes to Chrome Extensions.